Monday, October 27, 2008

Memphis

So, by now I feel like a greyhound pro. The trip from New Bern to Memphis was 27 long hours... the worst of which were spent from 2:00AM to 5:30AM in the Atlanta Greyhound station. It's been very interesting to be the only white person at most times... role reversal from having lived in predominantly white states for the last 16 years. But, I like being out of my racial comfort zone. It reminds of the summers I spent working at the Mariana Bracetti summer camp run by La Alianza Hispana in Roxbury, MA... I think it's very important to get out of your bubble once in a while, though it's especially fascinating to do so during election time. Although, I have to say at 2:00 in the morning, I wanted to throw something sharp and heavy into the TVs that were BLARING CNN news coverage of the election on a roll of tape that repeated about every 45 minutes. Kill me now.

I’ve added a stop to my tour in Chicago, in part to avoid going through another overnight bus trip! And, break up the Memphis to Minneapolis route. But, also so that I can play at the Uncommon Ground open mic. But, I’m currently riding past fields and fields of cotton in Arkansas. It’s so cool. I guess there had to be cotton fields somewhere with all the cotton clothing and textiles we use on a daily basis. But, it’s just one of those things that I don’t think of actually growing somewhere.


I left this morning on a beautiful sunny Sunday morning, and snapped this shot of the Mississippi River as we were pulling out of town.


This stop was a lesson in motherhood. I stayed with my best friend from childhood, Teresa Simpson, published author, and mother to James and Maya. As you may or may not know, I have a very strong desire to be a mother – and if all goes according to plan, I will be before too many more years pass. Though, I have to say listening to the squealing 2 year old currently behind me on the bus after 3 restless nights of early morning feedings, coughing fits, and an instrumental twinkle twinkle little star played on repeat all night so that James could sleep… I have a new appreciation for what I’m getting myself into.

Teresa and her husband, Michael, seem to think I have a knack for motherhood. They said that standing and rocking Maya, I looked very natural. I certainly hope they’re right. I’m going to try to get a lot of sleep between now motherhood, though!



I have such a strange relationship with Memphis. It is such a familiar place – I find myself so comforted by it. And, yet, I know I don’t belong there anymore. My family moved to Kalamazoo, MI when I was 15 – and since I wasn’t quite old enough to drive before we left Memphis, my perspective is so skewed. If it wasn’t church, home, school, or Teresa’s house – I didn’t know it existed. Things that seemed so big then, are much smaller now. Neighborhoods have names I never knew about. People I knew have come and gone and returned – most married and some with kids, now.

But, mostly it’s the history, my personal history, which has inspired many of my songs, that feels so palpable there. It was almost too difficult to sing Emily’s Song there…

How appropriate, Dave Matthews’ song Dancing Nancies just came on my itunes… “Could I have been anyone other than me?” Definitely a question I’ve been asking myself bussing around the South. And, particularly in Memphis. Who would I have become had I finished high school here?

I was scheduled to sing a house concert at Teresa and Michael’s, but the morning of the show, Teresa found out she had strep throat! We decided to cancel to be better safe than sorry… But, I wanted to still sing! So, I just decided to call a coffeehouse in mid-town that regularly hosts music and see if by any chance they had room for me that night. And, with 4 hours notice, I booked myself a gig!

A serious thank you is owed to the Java Cabana and Steve Lockwood who I “opened” for and then let me play during his break!

It turned out to be a great night, and I had a wonderful time playing there. For some reason, I decided not to record the show last night. I was feeling insecure because there were only 3 people there, including the barista when I started! But, by the end, about 10 people wandered in. I met a couple of men who’d been playing in the music scene in Memphis for over 30 years. And, was so honored when they offered to play with me the next time I come in town!
I also had a great conversation with the headliner, Steve, about everything music and progressive in Memphis. He happens to be the excecutive director of a Community Development Corporation in Memphis... not to mention he was living only a few blocks away from where I lived before we moved to Michigan! I thought that was pretty cool...

The highlight of the show for me – well, there were two big ones – was the attendance of the show by an old friend from junior high school, Kim Jones. I reconnected with her via Facebook, and I am not kidding when I say she looks exactly the same! It was so cool to talk politics and education and motherhood advice with her. We fell back into conversation easier than I do with some people I see every day! The second highlight of the show was little James coming up to me after the show and practically jumping into my arms and giving me a big kiss! I have a new fan.

I also got to see another old friend from elementary school, Blaire, and had dinner my aunt and uncle who still live in the area. Everyone was so generous, and took such good care of me! I’m looking forward to seeing another Memphis connection in Chicago. My sister, Emily’s best friend from high school, who will be housing me.

I can’t wait to hit Minneapolis and Bozeman… I’ve never been there before!

I’ll leave you with a clip about " home" from my North Carolina show.




Take good care of yourself in this cold and flu and strep season! And, I’ll do the same. ☺

Jess

No comments: